BA/BSc (Hons) Computing Technologies
The BA/BSc (Hons) in Computing Technologies addresses the underlying principles of modern computing technology, its role in helping to solve real-world business problems and the critical issues in its effective management. A graduate would be equipped with skills for the development, maintenance, evaluation and management of computing systems in a range of organisations, typically in the context of IT departments in public or private sector organisations. The course provides an excellent foundation for individuals looking to pursue a career in a number of computing related areas including the internet of everything, networking, cyber security, web and mobile app design, and data analytics.
Technology is a crucial part of modern society, and computers lie at the heart of it all. Important things like business, banking and communication, as well as entertainment, playing games, downloading music and how we interact socially all revolve around computers. A computer technologist designs and implements software and hardware that allows all these things to be possible.
Computing Technologies will be key to the development and growth of companies in the future. As technology advances, business will need individuals who are comfortable in client situations, making collaborative efforts to solve information technology problems across a wide range of business sectors.
The foundation year (Year 0) is carefully designed to build confidence in your abilities, develop essential academic and study skills, and provide the subject specific knowledge essential for success. It also introduces you to the fundamentals of computer systems, together with providing a grounding in programming.
You will gain highly competitive skills in a supportive and inspiring environment, with modules covering a wide range of computing technologies. Taught by experienced tutors, you will be learning about real-life and contemporary business approaches.
Graduates leave with an outstanding knowledge of the core elements of computing, a thorough understanding of current technological trends and the ability to integrate into the global computing community in a variety of roles. They will also have developed a range of transferable skills in such areas as problem solving, communication, project management, working individually and in teams as well as self-management and the ability to gather, synthesise, evaluate and reflect on information from relevant sources.
Course Length: 3 years / 4 years including Foundation year;
Start dates: January / May / September;
BA/BSc (Hons) Computing Technologies
Year 0 (Foundation Year)
- English Academic Skills 1
- Foundations of Computer Systems
- Mathematical Functional Skills Essentials
- English Academic Skills 2
- Foundations in Programming
- Extended Project
- Web Development
- Maths and Algorithms
- Object Orientated Programming
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Data Modelling and SQL Language
- Data Communication and Network Routing
- Mobile App Design and Development
- User Experience Design
- Network Design and Troubleshooting
- Cloud Computing
- Big Data Analytics
- Web Application Security
- Dissertation (Major Computing Project)
- Cyber Security
- Project Management and Professional Issues
- Data Science
- Designing and Developing Products for the Internet of Everything (IoE)
* The units can vary, depending on the chosen pathway or optional modules which your institution will choose for the course structure.
Assessment is through a variety of methods including examinations, assignments, group projects and presentations. Assessment will normally focus on practical as well as academic abilities. Almost every organization requires computing forms and when you graduate from our course you will have the up to date skills to enter the IT professions and a wide range of industries.
After completing your undergraduate degree, if you decide to enhance your career prospects even further you can apply for a postgraduate Master program. For more information regarding progression please contact Atlantic London.
Graduates with advanced computing technology skills have many career opportunities available to them including database administration, technical support, software development and IT project management.
You can further your career in professions such as:
- Business Systems Analyst
- Computer Network Administrator/Engineer
- Network Architect/Engineer
- Network Systems Administrator
- Database Administrator
- Application Developer/Engineer
- Application Support Analyst
- Associate Developer
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- Security Analyst
- Systems Administrator
- Systems Analyst/ Architect
- Systems Designer/Developer
- Software Engineer
- Software Quality Assurance Analyst
- Support Specialist
- Information Technology Coordinator
- Information Technology Director/Manager
- IT Support Manager/Specialist
- IT Systems Administrator
- IT Architect
- Computer Programmer
- Programmer Analyst
- Management Information Systems
- Medical Informatics/Imaging
- Multimedia Developer
- Applications Developer
- Technical Operations Officer
- Technical Support Engineer/Specialist
- Telecommunications Specialist
- Minimum Age: 18 years old;
- Applicants are required to submit proof of prior certificated learning (e.g. Secondary School Diploma/Baccalaureate/Level 3 qualification) and/or relevant work experience;
- Applications from mature candidates without formal qualifications are welcomed provided they could demonstrate appropriate levels of relevant ability and experience.
- If you are unable to meet the entry requirements for this course you may still be eligible for our Foundation year course. This is an extra year of study to prepare you for the full degree.
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language.
- Applicants must bring their original certificates when coming for registration;
The Tuition Fee of the course will vary depending on the institution you wish to study in, as well as your status in the UK. The course is available for UK/EU and International Students as well. Please contact us to find out the tuition fee for a specific course you’d like to know about.
Government Founds – Student Finance England
If you are an UK/EU citizen or living in the UK on Indefinite stay, you can receive support from the government via Student Loan Company to cover tuition fees and some living costs while studying, depending on your circumstances. Tuition fee loans, to cover the full cost of your course, are paid directly to the course provider. Maintenance loans can be applied for at the same time, lending you money at the start of each term. You won’t have to pay back the loan until after your course, when you’re earning above a certain level. Students can still apply for grants if they’re eligible for certain benefits, disabled, or need help with childcare costs.
Some error has occured.