HND Health and Social Care
HND Health and Social Care programmes are in high and increasing demand with hospitals, care homes, charities and community centres under increasing pressure for services to address the diverse and complex needs of a multitude of patients.
The HND Health and Social Care course is ideal for those who wish to specialise and pursue a career in the care sector. The courses are intended to create health professionals with a thorough understanding of managing health and social care services.
HND Health and Social Care
This course builds on the knowledge and skills developed during the HNC and gives advanced preparation if you want to follow a career in health and social care. If you’re already working in the sector, an HND would enhance your job prospects. Designed to equip you with the knowledge and understanding required for successful employment, this course will give you the transferable skills to meet the increasing demands of the health care sector.
The HND Health and Social Care course provide a thorough grounding in the key concepts and practical skills required in the Health and Social Care sector. Higher Nationals offer a strong emphasis on practical skills development alongside the development of requisite knowledge and understanding in the sector.
The HND Health and Social Care course have been designed to equip individuals with the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills for employment in Health & Social Care, both in the UK and overseas. These qualifications meet and exceed the National minimum standard of qualification set by the Care Quality Commission for those practising in Health & Social Care in the UK.
The course prepare and equip students with knowledge and skills in the practice and management of Health and Social Care programmes leading to employment or further and higher education to degree level.
The course is suitable also for all those already working in the sector who wish to gain practical skills and a formal Level 5 qualification in order to progress to supervisor or junior management level roles
Course Length: 2 years;
Start dates: February / July / October;
HND Health and Social Care
- Communicating in Health and Social Care Organisations
- Principles of Health and Social Care Practice
- Health and Safety in the Health and Social Care Workplace
- Personal and Professional Development in Health and Social Care
- Working in Partnership in Health and Social Care
- Physiological Principles for Health and Social Care
- Managing Human Resources in Health and Social Care
- Managing Financial Resources in Health and Social Care
- Understanding Specific Needs in Health and Social Care
- Supporting Independent Living
- Supporting Significant Life Events
- The Role of Public Health in Health and Social Care
- Facilitating Change in Health and Social Care
- Managing Quality in Health and Social Care
- Health Promotion
- Research Project
* The units can vary, depending on the optional modules which your institution will choose for the course structure.
Assessment is based on assignments, typically one assignment per unit. These assignments will vary and include a mix of formal reports, presentations and practical tasks, but there will be no formal exams. You won’t have to write any exams during your HND; instead you will focus on gaining practical, applicable skills through real-world case studies and group and individual assignments. Learners are assessed using a variety of methods, including group work, tutorials, lectures, seminars presentations, role play and case study analyses, written assignments. All units will be individually graded as ‘passes, ‘merit’ or ‘distinction’. To achieve a full qualification you must pass all 8 units to achieve the higher certificate and all 16 units to achieve the higher diploma.
The majority of students graduating from this course progress to a one year top-up degree at university in a related field. There are optional university higher education courses in fields such as Nursing, Social Work, Teaching Psychology, Sociology, Health Studies, Social Policy, or Health Care Management. Alternatively, you could take up employment with a Health or Social care related organisation
Students will gain a qualification that will support progression into job roles with greater responsibility within this sector, for example, supervisory and management roles. Upon successful completion of the course and/or completion of further specialist study, job roles may include; Care Home Manager, Social Care Worker, Midwife, Paramedic, Health Care Trainer, Safeguarding Officer, or Public Health Personnel.
- Minimum Age: 18 years old;
- Applicants are required to submit proof of prior certificated learning (e.g. Secondary School Diploma/Baccalaureate/Level 3 qualification) or relevant work experience;
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language;
- An interview with the college is compulsory prior student registration.
- Applicants must bring their original certificates when coming for registration
The Tuition Fee of the course will vary depending on the institution you wish to study in, as well as your status in the UK. The course is available for UK/EU and International Students as well. Please contact us to find out the tuition fee for a specific course you’d like to know about.
Government Founds – Student Finance England
If you are an UK/EU citizen or living in the UK on Indefinite stay, you can receive support from the government via Student Loan Company to cover tuition fees and some living costs while studying, depending on your circumstances. Tuition fee loans, to cover the full cost of your course, are paid directly to the course provider. Maintenance loans can be applied for at the same time, lending you money at the start of each term. You won’t have to pay back the loan until after your course, when you’re earning above a certain level. Students can still apply for grants if they’re eligible for certain benefits, disabled, or need help with childcare costs.
Some error has occured.